Having a garden is something wonderful, you have an amazing place to relax and share beautiful moments with your loved ones, and the process of creating and taking care of it, is also relaxing and rewarding, and it is a lot of hard work too!, depending of the size and type of the garden.
One of the most important task when we have a garden is watering, and this task can be a little bit hard and complicated, since we need to water each plant accordingly with its needs and location, and if our garden is big, this task becomes even harder, for that reason there are sprinklers available, to help us to keep our garden healthy and beautiful.
How to choose the right sprinklers for your garden
There are several types of sprinklers, drip, pop-ups, rotor or soak -like the ones that carpet cleaners– use which one use?, well there are some things you must have in consideration to help you choose.
- First, you should know your water pressure, some sprinklers that spray farther require more pressure for example.
- Second, know how much water do you need, lawns need full water and they require rotor sprinklers which cover large areas uniformly, in the other hand, flower beds may need spray pop-ups sprinklers.
- Third, take in count the area, large areas like lawns, need rotor sprinklers, small areas or with contours need pop-ups sprinklers which water just where it is needed, take in count the weather conditions of the area tonne watered, the wind can detour the water and if it rains you may want to acquire a sensor to connect with the sprinklers so they can stop working in rainy days.
- Fourth, use drip sprinklers when you want to water only specific plants or sections, some areas in our garden may have sections with plants that need a lot of water and other sections with plants that require small amounts of water, the drip sprinklers, consisting of a hose or tube with holes strategically placed, can water only where you need and leave other areas, like pavement for example, without water.
- Fifth, the soak sprinklers are similar to drip sprinklers, they consists of a hose that is permeable and let water go out uniformly throughout the length of it, this allow you to water non large areas, in very precise way and has the advantage that you don’t water the foliage, only roots, since some plants can be damaged if they are watered from the top, this is a great solution, besides this type of sprinklers and the drip sprinklers both helps to save water and to be environmentally friendly.
Gardening is always a pleasure and enjoy a beautiful garden or an amazing green lawn is the best, specially during those open air activities with the family, you can pridefully show the fruit of your hard work, but sometimes unexpected things happen and suddenly, despite all our effort, some ugly brown spots appear in our lovely grass, why?, and even more important, how to get rid of them?
Some causes and solutions
These are some causes and recommendations to keep your lawn free of brown spots
You may have a beautiful kitchen, maybe you hired a company like those you see in the ads to get an amazing kitchen countertop you totally love to use, but sometimes you may want to enjoy a meal in your beautiful garden using the cozy and lovely furniture you have there, that’s amazing, but you must be aware that garden furniture can cause brown spots in your grass.
The weight, the constant use can damage the grass and the soil, besides they avoid the sunlight your grass need, to prevent this and helping to repair the damage you should move your furniture once in a while to give some rest to the area it is usually placed.
You absolutely love your beautiful and amazing dog, and it is a real pleasure to watch him play, run in your yard, he is so happy there!, but he can be affecting your grass causing brown spots with his urine, blame the nitrogen it has.
You can have both the dog and the garden with some work, you can train your dog to go to toilet in an non visible area, you also must provide him plenty water to make his urine less toxic and keep him hydrated.
Pests and plants diseases
Maybe the problem causing those horrible brown spots is a plant disease or bugs, these are bad news, but there are good news too, nowadays there are many products either organic or synthetic that can disappear those pests and heal your grass from any disease.
You just need to look for information online or hire a specialized company to help you.
You use your mower to keep your yard nice and beautiful, but it can be causing damages too even if you’re not aware of that, if the blades of your mower are dull, they can tear and damage instead of making clean cuts, to avoid this, constantly check your mower’s blades and once in a while take it to preventive maintenance to keep its blades sharp.
Keep your yard watered, use an irrigation system that water all your yard uniformly.
Don’t over fertilize, too much of something good can be bad, so get yourself informed about the proper amount of fertilizer you should use.
Don’t be afraid to hire specialized service companies, they can help you in many ways.
Having a beautiful garden is a joy but it can also represent a lot of work. This may be the first time you have to take care of a garden and do not know very well where to start. Do not get overwhelmed! Follow these 4 tips to keep your garden in great shape without much effort.
- keep restricted to your most aggressive plants: you need to know which plants have underground roots that can spread to all the corners under your garden. To corral these underground plants, cut the bottom of a plastic pot and put this “collar” around your plant, pushing the pot into the surrounding soil. If, on the other hand, your most aggressive plants grow out of the ground, it is best to plant them away from the garden and monitor their growth.
- know the conditions that favor your plants: some plants such as camellias and gardenias prefer soils with oh-acids. For them you can water your land a couple of times a month with coffee or tea. Other plants such as azaleas grow better in the shade. Some need you to water them without wetting their leaves. The better you know your garden, the better you can take care of it.
- Do a thorough cleaning of your garden in fall: the idea is that the new leaves that grow in spring are not affected by some diseases that may be in your garden. An easy way to minimize the damage is to remove the diseased leaves during the fall. You can also tear off the diseased branches before winter so bacteria won’t grow during the season. Easy and useful!
- Give space to your plants: many of us dream of a dense garden with many plants of different species side by side, but not all of our plants are able to survive that way. By planting many plants together we put them to compete for light, nutrients and water, in addition to creating a humid environment that favors the growth of diseases. The best thing for the health of our plants is to properly space our garden and periodically trim the dry branches, diseased leaves and crowded plants.
Remember that these tips are general. To take proper care of your plants and your garden you should look for information on the type of attention you should give depending on the climate and the type of soil you have, the time you can spend on the ground, and even your pets. All these factors affect the health and growth of your plants and you must know them, but the secret of to keep your garden in great shape is dedication and attention!
The grass clippings of our garden, are almost always discarded. These tiny pieces of organic material get picked up by the cutting machines and later get deposited in large bags that end up in organic waste. All this entails expenditure of energy and also money.
The system known as mulching is an alternative that helps us in an attempt of taking advantage of this organic waste. This is precisely what this system does, crushing the cut grass creating a mulch, that is, a layer in the upper part of the soil, formed by the decomposition of organic matter. This form of cutting + crushing is also known as BioClip and provides several advantages for both the lawn of the garden and the person who performs the task.
In order to leave the remains of the mowing on the lawn, we need to crush the cut leaves so that they lose moisture more quickly, decompose and integrate as organic matter, so we will need mowers specially designed for this purpose.
In principle leaving the mowing remains on the lawn if we do it well is beneficial, they are 85% water, when dehydrated they are decomposed by the aerobic bacteria and added to the soil in the form of organic matter.
This organic matter will provide Nitrogen among other benefits, since grass clippings have up to 5% N, in addition this layer of organic matter that is created has other advantages, such as water retention (avoids evapotranspiration). Also Contributes to 25% of the nutritional needs of the lawn in general.
Advantages and Benefits of Mulching
*Less effort during cutting, collecting and composting, since it is not necessary to collect the remains of the grass cut.
*Provides up to 50% of the fertilization and fertilization that the grass needs, through the organic decomposition of the remains of the mulching, reducing in half the need to provide nutrients independently.
*The content of soil mulch increases approximately 2% in 2-3 years, which corresponds to 250kg of peat / 100m2.
*The remains of mulching contain a large amount of water, providing moisture to the lawn, which saves on irrigation and hydrates the grass for longer.
*Given the great power of crushing, the remains of grass are not visible on the garden, so that its appearance will be the same as if we had used a dustpan or rake.
*Triturates dry leaves and remains of foliage without problems, without the need to collect them beforehand.
There is nothing that gives more pleasure to our eyes than to get home and see that our garden has a beautiful, uniform and green grass, well cut and well taken care of.
To keep our home in perfect shape, the preparation of the ground before establishing the lawn is essential for the grass to thrive and look in all its glory but with the passage of time and depending on the use that is given, the lawn may show signs of depletion.
We are all aware that installing and taking care of the lawn so that it looks like a postcard is quite tedious, and sometimes we hire the services of an expert or someone special to do the task, but we do not have many results, to the point that we think that Having a green lawn is an almost impossible mission.
These damages can be remedied taking into account the following aspects:
- The appearance and condition of the lawn in spring and summer will depend a lot on the maintenance and care received during the previous period.
- In areas that have been a little poor grass or where there were many weeds, you must remove the topsoil, dig the soil well, add a substratum fertilized and level with the rest of the meadow. Next it will be necessary to sow seeds of the variety that predominates in the grass, cover them with the same substrate and water.
- If there is a hole, it will be necessary to carefully raise the piece of grass, fill the hole with fertilized substrate mixed with river sand and compact the soil maintaining the level with the rest of the land. Next, place the piece of grass removed or a new one.
- The holes in the lawn cause the accumulation of rainwater or irrigation in these areas, with the consequent and more than possible development of diseases and decay.
- Lack of irrigation, flooding, animal urine or excessive heat can make grass yellow. The use in spring of a fast action fertilizer after cutting, helps to recover the color of the lawn. If you add a second application of fertilizer in autumn, the growth of the lawn in the following spring will start with much more vigor. If you water the necessary times, especially in summer and you avoid the use by animals that can urinate and damage the land, the lawn should not yellow.